Fort Lauderdale celebrates 100 years
Wednesday 12, January 2011
Fort Lauderdale celebrates 100 years of sandy beaches, turquoise waters, arts and entertainment, ocean-to-table seafood and warm hospitality.
Events in 2011
- January 1 Broward Health and Holy Cross Hospitals give out the 1st Centennial Onesie to the first babies born at each. These hospitals will give a Centennial Onesie to every child (5000+) born in Fort Lauderdale.
- January 10 Centennial Hugh Taylor Birch Lecture at the Bonnet House.
- January 14 Centennial Ribbon Cutting Ceremony at Fort Lauderdale Woman's Club.
- January 15 Fort Lauderdale Woman's Club Bubble Que and 100th Birthday Celebration.
- January 15 Centennial Family Picnic at Colee Hammock Park to commemorate the 10-year anniversary of the art installation "Lil Blader" coordinated by artist Nilda Comas.
- January 28 First Baptist Church Centennial Breakfast.
- January 30 Dr. Paul George Centennial Intracoastal Waterway Boat Tour.
- February 7 Centennial look at the bonnet house in the 1930's.
- February 25 Pineapple Jazz Jam Centennial Celebration at the Stranahan House.
- February 25 Dixie Zone/18th Annual Masters Challenge, featuring a Centennial tribute at the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex.
- February 26 Sistrunk Centennial Parade and Street Festival hosted by Sistrunk Historical Festival cultural organization to celebrate the accomplishments of people of African descent, on Sistrunk Corridor from 11am until 6pm.
- March 3 Centennial Sue, a friend of Ivy (Stranahan) and Julia (Tuttle), shares memories 11:15am -12:15 pm at the almost 100-year-old First Presbyterian Church of Fort Lauderdale.
- March 4 School Board of Broward County Centennial History Fair.
- March 10 Riverwalk Trust Centennial Tribute to the Seminole Tribe of Florida at Timpano Chophouse and Martini Bar.
- March 12 St. Patrick's Day Parade and Festival.
- March 14 Centennial Life in Fort Lauderdale 1911-1920 lecture at the Bonnet House.
- March 17 The Centennial and 49th Annual Mayor's Prayer Breakfast.
- March 20 Grand re-opening of the 1922 Southside School located at 701 South Andrews Avenue, with a centennial tribute to one of the first elementary schools in Broward County, which has been listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places since 2006.
- March 27 Centennial Birthday Party, 100th Anniversary of the incorporation of Fort Lauderdale on the Riverwalk. 9am and 11:30am: Walking Tours of Historic Downtown Fort Lauderdale, hosted by Dr. Paul George.
^ back to top
Trends, Report and Research
Find the best deals available today
The grey menu on the right is your best friend. Always check before you travel.
Plan your trips with the help of great resources
More and more travellers think that researching and planning a European city break is half the fun and they're not interested in pre-arranged trips or escorted tours. Self-guided tours offer a lot of advantages but require some guidance and good resources.
Clean, green and very pristine
Top 10 most environmentally pure countries
With the recent wild fires, disrupting flights and increasing air pollution, environmental quality is a growing factor in attracting tourists.
Top 15 most spectacular hotel rooftop views
The hotel price comparison site www.trivago.co.uk has put together a list of the fifteen most spectacular hotel rooftop terraces in the world.