Giant suitcase checks in at Heathrow
Monday 11, October 2010
Heathrow celebrated the 2010 Heathrow Travel Product Award winners with the installation of a giant suitcase at Terminal 5 Departures.
The suitcase is the same size as Big Ben’s Great Bell, nearly 3 metres tall and over 2 metres wide – it can hold over 21,000 pairs of knickers, 10,000 bottles of sun cream (150ml) and 83,000 UK passports.
During October it will be home to the 12 winning travel products of 2010 including the Harrods Paddington Bear (Heathrow price: £16.95), an Apple MacBook Pro 15” (Heathrow price: £1,250.21) and a pair of Ray-Ban Black Suspended Lens sunglasses (Heathrow price: £157.45).
In its second year, the Heathrow Travel Product Awards launched to recognise the best UK travel items asked a panel of experts to shortlist 12 travel categories, which were then made available to the general public for voting via the Heathrow Travel Product Awards microsite (www.heathrow.com/winners).
Brian Woodhead, Retail Concessions Director at Heathrow, said: “The Heathrow Travel Product Awards were launched to showcase the many brands and products sold at the airport. It’s great to see what our passengers really value when they travel – and the luxuries and essentials they just can’t live without.
“We hope the awards will not only raise awareness of the offering at Heathrow – and the substantial savings that can be made – but also our commitment to making every journey better than the last one.”
Top 12 travel products of 2010
1. Top Travel Must-Have: Trunki Children’s Tipu Ladybird Case (Heathrow Price £29.77)
2. Top Technology: Apple MacBook Pro 15” (Heathrow Price: £1,250.21)
3. Best Travel Entertainment: Nintendo DS – Brain Training game (Heathrow Price: £17.00)
4. Best Camera: Canon 500D (Heathrow Price: £508.91)
5. Best Handbag: Smythson Nancy Tote (Heathrow Price: £676.60)
6. Best Sunglasses: Ray-Ban Black Suspended Lens (Heathrow Price: £157.45)
7. Best Travel Beauty Product: Prevage anti-age serum (Heathrow Price: £123.25)
8. Best Men’s Fragrance: Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme (Heathrow Price: £39.95)
9. Best Women’s Fragrance: Marc Jacobs Lola Velvet EDP (Heathrow Price: £35.95)
10. Best Watch & Jewellery: Omega Speedmaster Professional (Heathrow Price: £1,821.28)
11. Top Travel Gift: Harrods Paddington Bear (Heathrow Price: £16.95)
12. Top Travel Read: At Home by Bill Bryson (Heathrow Price: £12.99).
More and more travellers think that researching and planning a European city break is half the fun and they're not interested in pre-arranged trips or escorted tours. Self-guided tours offer a lot of advantages but require some guidance and good resources.
With the recent wild fires, disrupting flights and increasing air pollution, environmental quality is a growing factor in attracting tourists.
The hotel price comparison site www.trivago.co.uk has put together a list of the fifteen most spectacular hotel rooftop terraces in the world.