Hidden hotel fees upset customers
Friday 7, May 2010
According to a new study by PhoCusWright, 43% of online travel shoppers have abandoned a booking because the final product price and/or fees were higher than they were willing to pay.
Akamai commissioned PhoCusWright to conduct a study examining key elements of the online consumer experience in travel. The complimentary whitepaper examines five aspects of online travel - satisfaction levels, speed expectations and tolerance, activities during page loading, reasons for abandonment and reactions to technical issues.
The whitepaper states the following key findings:
- Travel doesn't disappoint: The vast majority of travelers are somewhat to very satisfied with their online travel shopping experiences;
- Three-second rule: 57% of online shoppers will wait three seconds or less before abandoning the site;
- Y wait? Generation Y and younger travelers are less patient than older travelers when it comes to page load times - 65% of 18-24 year olds expect a site to load in two seconds or less;
- Prevention is key: A third of travelers would be less likely to visit a site after experienceing problems;
- Loyalty is not forgiveness: Active loyalty program members are somewhat polarized in their tolerance levels. While they are more likely than other travelers to be unaffected by temporarty site problems, they are also more likely to have certain key negative reactions;
- Travelers tend to be multitaskers: 59% of consumers do something else when waiting for a travel website to load;
- Hidden fees may cost you: 43% of online shoppers have abandoned a booking because the final product price and/or fees were higher than they were willing to pay.
^ back to top
Trends, Report and Research
Find the best deals available today
The grey menu on the right is your best friend. Always check before you travel.
Plan your trips with the help of great resources
More and more travellers think that researching and planning a European city break is half the fun and they're not interested in pre-arranged trips or escorted tours. Self-guided tours offer a lot of advantages but require some guidance and good resources.
Clean, green and very pristine
Top 10 most environmentally pure countries
With the recent wild fires, disrupting flights and increasing air pollution, environmental quality is a growing factor in attracting tourists.
Top 15 most spectacular hotel rooftop views
The hotel price comparison site www.trivago.co.uk has put together a list of the fifteen most spectacular hotel rooftop terraces in the world.