Silversea Cruises spices up the summer with excursions designed for the gourmet
Saturday 15, May 2010
From a tapas workshop at a cooking school in Barcelona, to a lesson in the art of making pesto at one of Genoa's finest restaurants, to a French pastry class in Cannes, Silversea is rolling out a tantalising collection of Mediterranean shore tours tailored to the traveller who is an epicure at heart.
Four ultra-luxury Silversea ships, including the new Silver Spirit, will sail throughout the Mediterranean, Adriatic and Black seas from now through October. With over 50 diverse itineraries of seven to twelve days, visiting more than 60 ports, Silversea's destination experts have designed dozens of optional shore excursions to showcase the culinary traditions of this fascinating region.
Darius Mehta, Silversea's associate vice president of air and land programmes, said: "Recognising that travel, food and wine are central to the lifestyle of our guests, we're pleased to offer a selection of gourmet-themed tours among the more than 300 shore options available in the Mediterranean this year. These tours are part of our exclusive Silver Shore Collection, which provides unique, in-depth cultural experiences tailored for small, intimate groups."
Highlights of the Mediterranean culinary tours include:
- Pesto Making at Zeffirino's (Portofino): This upscale restaurant opened in Genoa in 1939 and became a favourite among celebrities from Sinatra to Pavarotti. During your visit, Zeffirino's chef will share the secrets to making authentic pesto sauce, then enjoy a lunch of pesto, fresh fish and a delicate dessert.
- Tapas Workshop & Wine Tasting (Barcelona): Indulge your senses with the culture, traditions and flavours of Barcelona at a cooking school where the chef teaches you how to make tapas, the popular Spanish appetisers. After the lesson, enjoy your tapas served with wine and cava.
- French Pastry Class at L'Oasis (Cannes): At the Riviera's renowned L'Oasis restaurant, a member of Relais & Châteaux, chef Francois Raimbault demonstrates French pastry making. Following the two-hour class, enjoy tea served with a selection of the pastries you prepared.
- **NEW - Cooking with the Countess (Venice): Learn the secrets to preparing authentic Venetian cuisine as Countess Lelia Passi hosts a cooking lesson and lunch at magnificent Palazzo Tiepolo on the Grand Canal.
- **NEW - Gourmet Experience in the Chianti Area (Livorno): Enjoy a scenic drive through Italy's Chianti region to the vineyards of the Antinori family where a gourmet lunch will be served with several fine wines.
- **NEW - Truffle Lunch Experience in Istria Countryside (Pula): Visit the Stefanic family farm, restaurant and winery where fruit, olives, figs and truffles are grown, then savour a lunch created with these ingredients as local musicians perform Istrian songs for your entertainment.
- **NEW - Porto Azzurro & Wine Tasting (Portoferraio, Elba Island): At La Chiusa Winery, set amid breathtaking ocean scenery, learn about winemaking and olive oil production processes, then participate in a wine and olive oil tasting.
- **NEW - Korcula's Sweets Cooking Class (Korcula): Embrace the traditions and flavours of Korcula with a walking tour through the city. At a local home, learn the history of the island and how to prepareprikle, a delicious fried doughnut covered with raisins and almonds.
- **NEW - Greek Cooking Lesson (Corfu): At the Spyros & Vassilis restaurant in Tebloni, the chef-owner greets you with a glass of ouzo before demonstrating how to prepare an array of Greek dishes, including the famous moussaka -- all to be enjoyed as your lunch.
- Sicilian Market & Cooking Class - Cucina del Sole (Taormina): On the slopes of Mt Etna, visit the 18th-century home of gastronomic journalist Eleonora Consoli for a lesson in Sicilian cooking, then enjoy a lunch of the prepared dishes in Ms Consoli's garden.
- Cooking Cascais Style (Lisbon): Learn how to prepare some of Portugal's most delectable dishes at the Albatroz Palace, a boutique hotel overlooking the sea in Cascais. Executive Chef Miguel Gomcalves weaves herbs and produce from local markets into five different dishes that participants enjoy with a glass of wine.
- Exclusive Cooking Class at La Provençale (Marseille): Enjoy splendid vistas on a drive to the region of Aix-en-Provence and its 17th-century Chateau d'Arnajon, a beautiful country house where you'll enjoy a cooking lesson and lunch using fresh produce from local markets.
^ back to top
Trends, Report and Research
Find the best deals available today
The grey menu on the right is your best friend. Always check before you travel.
Plan your trips with the help of great resources
More and more travellers think that researching and planning a European city break is half the fun and they're not interested in pre-arranged trips or escorted tours. Self-guided tours offer a lot of advantages but require some guidance and good resources.
Clean, green and very pristine
Top 10 most environmentally pure countries
With the recent wild fires, disrupting flights and increasing air pollution, environmental quality is a growing factor in attracting tourists.
Top 15 most spectacular hotel rooftop views
The hotel price comparison site www.trivago.co.uk has put together a list of the fifteen most spectacular hotel rooftop terraces in the world.