The best Spanish wines on board Iberia aircraft
Thursday 6, May 2010
Iberia has completed its selection of the wines that will be offered to its Business Plus passengers on intercontinental flights in May, June, and July. Once again, the list is made up of five of Spain's choicest wines.
The list includes three reds, all made from the black tempranillo grape, perhaps Spain's most emblematic grape for tintos, and certainly the most abundant, but with differences in the three regions where it is cultivated: Rioja, Ribera del Duero and La Mancha. This quarter's two whites are from Rueda and Penedès.
Once again Iberia, guided by the Todovino Spanish wine consultants, continues its exploration of Spain growing regions in order to show their diversity, and also the diverse styles employed by winemakers within each region. All are selected in accordance with the strict criteria used by Todovino's expert tasters in preparing its annual handbook La Guía Todovino.
Travellers may enjoy these wines aboard Iberia flights, and also in the airline's VIP lounges at Madrid airport, where a sommelier will personally tell them about the peculiarities of each wine. Information is also provided aboard Iberia flights in the magazines Ronda Iberia and La Revista Todovino, on the wine list itself, and in a video that may be viewed on the individual touch-screen.
Wines for May-July
- Campillo Reserva 2001 (D.O.Ca. Rioja). Made with tempranillo alone, as is the practice in the Laguardia zone where the winery is located, and submitted to a painstaking fermentation with intense macerations and aging in American oak casks for 22 months, this timeless reserva by Campillo can be regarded as a brilliant "neo-classical" vintage that never disappoints, but remains in a perfect state of maturity, with a pleasing harmony of fruit and wood and an intense and complex richness of bouquet. This was an excellent year and the wine certainly merits its red seal in La Guía Todovino.
- Sembro 2008 Tinto (D.O. Ribera del Duero). An estate wine made with grapes from the youngest vines of Viñas del Jaro, a project launched in 2000 in Pesquera de Duero by the Osborne-Osborne family, this is a young Ribera, of exceptional fruitiness, with pleasing lactic notes from the wood which provide a creaminess that detracts nothing from the fruit. Made entirely from tempranillo grapes and aged five months in cask, this is a fresh and versatile wine.
- El Vínculo Reserva 2006 (D.O. La Mancha). A wine that meets the exacting standards of its creator, Alejandro Fernández, it is made of nothing but tempranillo, his pride and joy, and aged for 24 months in American oak, and it reflects his experience in Ribera del Duero, now applied in the landscapes of La Mancha. With grapes carefully selected for this limited edition, the 2006 gradually displays its complexity in the glass, with notes of ripe fruit, red liquorice, and sweet spices.
- Cuatro Rayas Viñedos Centenarios 2009 (D.O. Rueda). A major new offering from the Agrícola Castellana winery, which makes its debut in the market with this vintage and which goes even beyond its Azumbre label. Made with grapes from very old vines in the Segovian part of the Rueda D.O., this is a fragrant white in a limited editions of 30,000 bottles and is a privilege to serve aboard Iberia flights.
- Atrium Chardonnay 2008 Blanco (D.O. Penedès). This is a Chardonnay in its second year in the market, and enriched by the Torres winery's vast experience with this variety. Compared to fresh and young Rueda described above, the Penedès is more settled, and with a greater structure thanks to its partial fermentation in the cask, its pleasing velvety texture, and the characteristic smoky and buttery notes one is always delighted to encounter in this type of white.
^ back to top
Trends, Report and Research
Find the best deals available today
The grey menu on the right is your best friend. Always check before you travel.
Plan your trips with the help of great resources
More and more travellers think that researching and planning a European city break is half the fun and they're not interested in pre-arranged trips or escorted tours. Self-guided tours offer a lot of advantages but require some guidance and good resources.
Clean, green and very pristine
Top 10 most environmentally pure countries
With the recent wild fires, disrupting flights and increasing air pollution, environmental quality is a growing factor in attracting tourists.
Top 15 most spectacular hotel rooftop views
The hotel price comparison site www.trivago.co.uk has put together a list of the fifteen most spectacular hotel rooftop terraces in the world.